Monday, March 19, 2012

Wine, cheese and coldcuts on the patio, that's living

 
This past Sunday was a gorgeous St-Patty's day, with 20 degree weather. Except Heather and I were looking to stay away from the green zombie crowds moaning "Beeeeeeeer" so that meant we couldn't enjoy the day like any normal Montrealer would, with a pint on a terrace somewhere. We decided to do our own thing and picked up some things, went back to my place and got the table out of the basement, plopped it outside on the back desk and enjoyed the warm sun.

Saturday we had picked up with fantastic loaf of bread from St-Denis street, corner of Cherrier. A place called Mammie Clafoutie or something like that. I can't exactly remember what it was called but the bread was excellent! Had a multi grain coating with a sourdough type of consistency. Very full flavour without being dry. So I pulled out my trusty cast-iron skillet, put it at high heat and waited to see some smoke. Put the slices of bread in the pan and put a heavy pot on top of it for a few seconds, just to make a nice little crostini. I can't believe I didn't have any garlic to rub on it. Oh well, next time! There's something so good about cast-iron grilled bread. Reminds me of the toast we'd eat on camping trips when I was growing up.
Aside from that, a nice Badiola Tuscan wine, plain (and oily!) tomato pizza from San Pietro bakery on Jean-Talon corner of Cartier in my old neighborhood. This is the pizza I grew up on and the trip back to my stomping grounds was pretty nice in terms of food memories. Walking into that bakery, that smell. Mmmmm! Very few things smell better than a bakery. We also picked up a ricotta zeppolli since it's that time of year, lent. It was pretty damn good! Might've been made the day before though because the pastry itself felt a little bit too moist.

At the Jean-Talon market we went to Capitol and picked up two hot coppas, and a Tuscan flavoured one. I didn't like the Tuscan one as much. Too much fat in it vs the flavour. We left it out to eat it at room temperature also. This was one of those that you find in the bright coloured paper wrappings. We also took a ball of burrata cheese, drizzled a light amount of olive oil over it and it was a great spread for the crostini.

This is one of those great moments you have on vacation and say "We should do this at home" so we did. Try it yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I agree http://sanpietro.ca bakery is a great place.

    ReplyDelete